1 cup (250 ml) Quinoa
2 cups (500 ml) Water
¼ cup (60 ml) each Sliced almonds, dried cranberries, and chopped dried apricots
½ cup (125 ml) Chopped apple
2 tbsp (30 ml) Fresh mint, chopped
2 tbsp (30 ml) Pure maple syrup
2 tbsp (30 ml) Cider vinegar
2 tbsp (30 ml) Grainy Dijon mustard
1 tbsp (15 ml) Canola oil
1. If the quinoa is not a pre-rinsed variety, rinse it under running water for 1-2 minutes.
2. In a medium saucepan bring water to a boil. Add quinoa and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 12 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
3. Transfer quinoa to a large bowl and place in the fridge to cool down.
4. Toast almonds in a dry frying pan until browned and set aside.
5. Add fruit and mint to bowl with quinoa. Wisk maple syrup, cider vinegar, mustard and canola oil together. Pour over quinoa and fruit mixture. Toss to coat.
6. Top with toasted almonds and serve!
Try peaches, plums and dried cherries in this recipe to switch up the fruit!
Recipe by: Sarah Campbell, RD with permission from Sobeys Dietitians